Devitt Loyal Orange Lodge No. 43
Devitt Loyal Orange Lodge No. 43 received its warrant in 1847 in the town of Devitt's Corner's, Ontario. The first Worshipful Master was Matthew Devitt who was born in Fermanagh County, Ireland in 1815.
Matthew was a Wesleyan Methodist that came to Canada in 1827. The Bowmanville Canadian Statesman mentions that Matthew served the Crown during the 1837 Rebellion.
In June 1840, Matthew purchased 200 acres from Charles J. Dunlop and later gave land on his farm to the Wesleyan Methodist Church. While the church has been gone for many years Devitt's Cemetery still remains. The Orange Hall was located across from the Cemetery on the southeast side of Devitt's Corners.
Matthew passed away in 1860.