Lansdowne Loyal Orange Lodge No. 26
Lansdowne Loyal Orange Lodge No. 26 received its warrant from Ogle Robert Gowan, then Grand Master of Ontario on July 11th, 1845.
The Lodge first met in a building owned by Brother William Smith on Lot 23, Concession 2 in Lansdowne, Ontario. The property was last known to be owned by M. Kalipershad of 1041 County Road 2. This building was also used as a Temperance Hall.
Early members were William Smith, James Douglas, William Gilbert, Henry and Joseph Bradley and Robert White.
The Lodge then moved to the west of Lansdowne to a building directly across the road from Eden Grove School. In 2001, the building was in fair condition and was moved behind the Temperance Hall on County Road 2 at Lansdowne House where the lower part of the building was used for machine storage and the upper floor as a workshop.
In 1875 a new hall was built in Lansdowne at 32 Miller Street. All the timber and lumber was donated as well as most of the labour of carpenters Joseph and Thomas Bradley.
The First Worshipful Master's of Loyal Orange Lodge No. 26 were Brothers William Smith and James Greer. Other early members were George Stevens, Isreal Bowen, Henry, Joseph A, Thomas A, and Richard Bradley, James Douglas, Robert McCullough and Robert White.
In 1879, Thaddeus Leavitt's "History of Leeds and Grenville" [County] stated that the Lansdowne lodge was one of the oldest in Central Canada. Lodge Officers were Joseph Bradley, Worshipful Master; William Dixon, D.M.; James Latimer, Secretary; and James Douglas, Treasurer. Membership was over 50 at the time.
In 1893 the Lodge's of the district sponsored the laying of the corner stone of Greenfield Methodist Church on the sixth concession. The Grand Master of Ontario, the Late N. Clark Wallace officiated, and was presented with a silver trowel.
In 1900, Lansdowne had about 100 members and a good brass band with a paid band master, Mr. Albert Wood. Lansdowne celebrated the 12th of July with a very large gathering of Orangemen and others in attendance. Four Lodges were in the parade, Lansdowne Loyal Orange Lodge No. 26, Escott Loyal Orange Lodge No. 27, Gananoque Loyal Orange Lodge No. 51 and Dulcemaine Loyal Orange Lodge No. 100. The parade was led by the Lansdowne Brass Band and marched to the Drill Shed where a party from the Royal Military College demonstrated boxing and sword exercises.
In 1919 a Royal Black Preceptory was organized in Lansdowne, No. 649, with about 30 members however by July 18th, 1939 the Preceptory became dormant.
The Lansdowne lodge was active until 1982 when it amalgamated with Gowan Loyal Orange Lodge No. 5 in Brockville, Ontario.