Sand Point Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1393
Dewars, Ontario, Canada
Sand Point Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1393 received its warrant from the Grand Orange Lodge of Canada in November of 1873.
The first officers of the Lodge were:
The first members of the lodge were a mix of local farmers, a couple of shopkeepers but most were transient railwaymen.
The lodge met in the station house for the first decade of its existence.
By the early 1880's the majority of the railwaymen had moved on leaving the membership heavy with local farmers.
In 1883 the Lodge decided to move the meeting location closer to their community.
The Dewer’s Corners Methodist Church was built in 1862. It was constructed of squared pine timber. The clapboarding was added shortly afterward. The congregation closed the church in 1875.
The Lodge purchased the building for $60.00 on September 15th, 1883. The trustees for the purchase were brothers Robert Phillips, Alex Pinkerton, and Alex McLean.
In 1903 the building had to be rebuilt. Some of the logs were replaced, the floor replaced, interior walls fully replaced, and new benches were built. This took three years of work during which time the Lodge met at the Lochwimnoch school house.
Sand Point Loyal Orange Lodge No. 1393 meets the first Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm.
Source: Bro. R. Staye.
If you would like to contribute to this page, please contact us through our Facebook page.
First Worshipful Master:
Alexander C. McCallum
Current Hall Location:
1416 Stevenson Drive, Dewar, Ontario, K0A 1G0
Where is Dewars, Ontario?